Are you trying to cut back on oil and eat healthily? Steamed food is your baby step of eating healthy. While boiling includes submerging your food into the water, steaming uses the vapor from boiled water to cook your food gently. The reason why you should steam your vegetables instead of boiling is it retains the vegetables’ nutrients.
A vegetable steamer is a perfect companion when you want to go creative with healthy food habits. And if you didn’t know already, your vegetable steamer isn’t only for vegetables. You can use it for diverse purposes.
No matter why you want a vegetable steamer, choosing the best one always brings you convenience. With so many alternatives, it’ll take you hours to find the best vegetable steamer. Lucky for you, we’ve got it covered. After evaluating all features, we’ve created a list for you to select the best one.
10 Best Vegetable Steamer For Healthy Foods
We’ve compared them all. After going through popular options, we’ve narrowed it down to a list of the 10 best vegetable steamers.
- Durable Material: High-quality stainless steel is used with a non-scratch finish on this steamer. So, you can keep using it while maintaining the same quality for a long time.
- Adjustable: Your steamer will adjust according to the pot or pan you’re using. Remove the central pillar if you wish to increase the steamer’s space.
- Foldable Legs: For stability and perfection in steaming, the steamer features foldable legs that you can adjust.
- Versatile Cooking: Go creative with different food types because this steamer will perfectly steam your food for executing a perfect recipe.
Consevisen vegetable steamer is made of high-quality food-grade stainless steel. There’s a scratch-proof polished surface that keeps your steamer look as new even after using it for a long time. You can fold the steamer in a more compact size for easy storage.
The streamer opens like a lily petal. You can easily open it just by using a finger. A comfortable handle is provided with the basket. Just screw it to the basket, and your job becomes a whole lot easier. The central post of the steamer can be removed. It’s a feature that comes in handy in case you want to steam bigger vegetables.
Three foldable legs under the steamer adjust according to your necessity. These stable legs will elevate the steamer. Steaming veggies like carrots, broccoli, potatoes, peas, etc., have never been easier before. Moreover, you can steam seafood, fish, or meat in it. To sum up, it’s one of the best stainless steel steamers available.
- Quick and Easy: Everything comes quickly and easily with this steamer. Quick and easy to use, clean, and operate.
- Made for Microwave: Perfect for steaming food in your microwave. No need to go through the extra hassles of using a stove.
- Portable: When you leave home, you won’t have to change the container. You can just carry the whole steamer with you.
- Vent on The Lid: For letting the steam out, there is a vent on the steamer’s lid. You can use it to adjust the steam.
When you’re a busy person, always on the run, and want a way of steaming your food quickly, this one is a great option. This 1-quart steamer offers you a nonstick surface for easy steaming and cleaning. There’s a steam control system on the steamer, so you can adjust the vent on the lid to allow steam escape.
There can’t be a better steamer to use in your microwave oven. You can use this to steam fish, meat, or any veggies in a microwave oven swiftly without having to wait for too long. When you’re running late and want your on-the-go food ready in minutes, this is the steamer you need.
It comes in a compact design that makes it easy to carry and store. Overall, this is one of the best food steamers for a small amount of food, quick and easy access.
- Dishwasher-safe: No more wasting your time by spending it to clean your steamer. The stainless steel material is perfectly dishwasher safe.
- Easy to Operate: Handles and silicon legs are to provide you with an easy operation. They’re convenient to hold and make it comfortable for you to move the steamer around. Also, the legs keep the steamer steady.
- Robust Structure: High-quality stainless steel is used for making this steamer that makes it durable.
- Adjustable: You can adjust the steamer to use inside different-sized pots and pans.
Like all Consevisen products, this basket also lives up to its reputation. It’s made of high-quality food-grade stainless steel and comes with a dishwasher-safe feature. Food grade plastic handles and attached silicon feet ensure you a convenient cooking experience as well as safety.
You can easily expand or fold this steamer to fit into different size pots. There are foldable silicon legs at the bottom of the basket. This is to elevate the basket steady inside a pot.
If you are worried about space, you shouldn’t be. The stand in the center is removable. This way, you can create more space in case you want to steam larger vegetables. Overall, this is one of the best stainless steel steamer baskets you can get your hands on.
- Time Saver: When you need a quick steamer that can also solve your egg problems, you’re looking at the right place.
- Dishwasher-safe: No one’s got the time to wash everything manually. To make your busy schedule more comfortable, the egg maker is perfectly dishwasher safe.
- Compact and Versatile: You can cook different dishes that require steaming along with experimenting with your eggs. It’s small in size for easy maneuver and portability.
- Easy to Operate: The structure and process of using it are straightforward. There’s no complicated step you need to follow to use this egg maker.
An electric steamer is all you need to save time cooking your breakfast. This egg maker from Chefman can be a perfect time-saver for you. It can hold up to 6 eggs at a time. Easily boil, poach or steam eggs in minutes for your breakfast. It’s also a quicker method than stovetop cooking.
You don’t have to wait for your hard-boiled eggs to cool down anymore. This steamer comes with a lift-up tray feature. You can steam veggies in this as well. Just add water with a measuring cup, and you are good to go. You will get a measuring cup with the steamer for added convenience.
No need for extra time washing your steamer. This steamer is top-grade dishwasher safe. It’s compact in size that makes it perfect for any small kitchen, college dorms, or even travel. Moreover, if you’re struggling with a gift idea, it’s a perfect one to get.
- Healthy Food: All materials used for making this steamer are perfectly safe for healthy eating. High-quality stainless steel does not release any chemicals or react with your food.
- Easy Storage: You can convert it into a compact size by folding. Store it anywhere in the kitchen without worrying about space problems.
- Dishwasher-safe: Convenient to clean. Just use your dishwasher and save yourself the trouble of manual washing.
- Size: The steamer will fit easily when you are using any pot of 6 quarts or larger capacity. Perfect for cooking large meals.
TOPOKO made this top-grade vegetable steamer using 18/8 food-grade stainless steel. It’s completely free of toxic chemicals, guaranteeing you a safe food experience. You can easily fit this in a 6-quart or bigger pot. Fold it to convert it into a compact size and easily store it.
It’s dishwasher safe as well for your highest convenience. Forget worrying about manually washing it. It features a very straightforward and easy-to-use design. You can cook eggs, seafood, meat, and fish as well.
The basket becomes half of its original size when you fold it. No need to worry about blocking too much kitchen space. With a smart design comes added convenience. This is one of the best stovetop steamers available.
- High-quality Material: Premium stainless steel provides a durable, easy to use, and easy to wash feature to your steamer. Moreover, the steamer is dishwasher safe.
- Convenient Structure: Along with being robust and sturdy, the foldable feature allows you to adjust the steamer size according to the container pot or pan.
- Visually Attractive: It’s got a pleasant appearance to keep you motivated in the kitchen. Besides, this feature makes it a perfect gift item.
- Extras: There’s a sharp peeler, a cooking book, and a safety tool included with the steamer for your highest convenience.
In this exclusive package from kitchen deluxe, you will get a Julienne Peeler, a downloadable cooking book, and a safety tool along with the steamer. The steamer basket is made of premium quality stainless steel. It’s easy to use, and you won’t have any trouble washing it either as it is dishwasher safe.
A foldable feature lets you adjust the size to fit any pot. It can be folded into a compact size for storage purposes. This can be a perfect product to steam seafood, fish, meat, and veggies.
It opens like a water lily and adds a visually pleasant effect to your kitchen. A beautiful outlook is always a motivational tool for cooking. Moreover, it can be a really great gift for someone who loves cooking.
Accessories you get with this steamer should also be taken into account. A sharp peeler makes your job easy, a cooking book to guide you, and a safety tool to remove the basket without any danger. Overall, this is the best stainless steel steamer set on this list.
- Simple and Easy to Use: A collapsible system will allow you to use this steamer without any difficulties. The basic structure is very easy to use for even beginners.
- Versatility: Use your steamer to steam various foods and upgrade your skills in the steaming game. When experimenting with food, a steamer is a must-have in your kitchen.
- Large Surface, Compact Size: Even though the steamer provides you with a large cooking surface for steaming large amounts of vegetables when folded for storage, it can be quite compact.
- Adjustable and Expandable: Expand it according to your necessity smoothly and conveniently.
A collapsible steamer will assist you in ways you can’t even imagine. A simple and straightforward design that makes the whole process easier is something you wish to have in all your cookware.
A Norpro vegetable steamer will become compact and small in size when folded. You will easily be able to store it anywhere in the kitchen without worrying about blocking too much space. This feature doesn’t stop the steamer from providing you with a large steaming surface whenever necessary.
It’s a versatile steamer that you can use not only for your vegetables but also for seafood, meat, and fruits. Collapsible steamers are a great choice when you want your steamer to adjust according to the pot size. No matter why you want this type of streamer, it’s a great big stainless steamer to make your bucket list.
- 3-tier Steamer: If you want to cook different types of dishes at the same time, tiered steamers are the best.
- No Manual Monitoring: Because it’s electric, you can let your veggies steam all alone. You don’t have to stay in front of the steamer to keep track.
- Auto-Shut Timer: You can set the timer as per necessity. In case the water runs dry, the timer will auto-shut the steamer.
- Perfect for Large Meals: You can accommodate up to 18 eggs at once if you use all three tiers. So, you can cook for all your family members at once using this steamer.
If you’re into large amounts of cooking occasionally or frequently, a 3-tier steamer is the smartest option for you. Each tier of this steamer can hold 6 eggs. In total, you can place 18 eggs in this steamer. Compare this with the amount of vegetables or foods you steam at once, and you’ll get a clear understanding of the size.
It’s electric, which means you don’t have to monitor the progress manually. You can use the tier individually too, meaning that it’s both a large and a small steamer.
As you already know, timing is crucial when it comes to steaming. There’s a timer that auto shuts the steamer. You can set it up to 60 minutes. As a safety feature, the steamer auto-shuts off when the water runs dry. How easier can steaming get?
For a perfectly fluffy steamed rice dish, there aren’t any better options than this electric steamer.
- Easy Monitoring: You can monitor your water level via a small window so you can keep track of your steaming progress.
- Visual Access: You can see your food from the outside, so you’ll know when they’re done steaming.
- Large SIze: Large cooking surface will let you cook large food portions at once to save you time and trouble.
- Extras: There is a built-in timer and a cookbook provided with the steamer so you can cook with proper guidance.
Classic Cuisine vegetable steamer and rice cooker is super easy to use. There’s a water level viewing window to keep track of the water level easily. A transparent design will let you see your food so you can easily monitor it. All parts of the steamer except the base are dishwasher safe.
Versatile cooking can be done with this smartly designed steamer. Besides, there are egg holders that can hold up to 16 eggs at once. Cook enough food for your whole family regardless of what you are cooking. Go versatile and innovative to cook rice, scallops, asparagus, eggs, and whatnot.
The built-in timer is super easy to use. You can set it according to your recipe guidelines. And speaking of recipes, you’re getting a complete cooking guide with the steamer. Even if you don’t know your way around, it should be effortless to cook with this steamer.
- Healthy Eating: The steamer is chemical-resistant and it keeps your food safe from any harmful elements. Along with eating healthy food by steaming them, you can also make sure the cooking process is also healthy.
- Versatile Cooking: You can use the tiers for cooking different types of food at once. Even heating will ensure there are no undercooked or overcooked food on your plate.
- Auto-Sut Timer: ALong with setting the timer at your own preference, you can also stay worry-free about burning because when the water runs dry, the steamer will turn itself off.
- Fast Heating: The steamer heats fast, making your cooking process faster and reduces your waiting time.
Featuring a 9.5-quart capacity, you can cook with all your heart with this electric steamer. A 3-tier design that comes with high chemical resistance ensures that you can cook and eat healthily. Egg holders offer you versatility because you can steam anything you want.
Powerful 800w fast heating will steam your food in no time. Forget about waiting for hours just for your steamer to get hot. Remove the necessity of using multiple pots with a smart and sleek three-tier design.
The timer works both manually and automatically. You can set the timer, and it will turn off when it hits 0. The automatic feature works when the water runs dry. This way, you can stop worrying about burning or ruining your steamer.
All three tiers will heat evenly, so if you want to steam different foods that require different cooking times, you have to add a tier later. Meaning that you have to fill the first tier with the food that takes the longest to steam. Then add the second layer after a certain time filled with food that requires less time.
Benefits Of Steamed Food And Vegetables
Along with the obvious benefit you get from steamed food and vegetables, there are more.
- As you don’t need to add oil while steaming, you get to keep your meals healthy and keep the calorie level to a minimum.
- When you steam your food, it retains more of its original minerals, vitamins, & enzymes. When you use other methods to cook your food, like boiling, the nutrients get leach out into the cooking water.
- Steaming makes the fibers of fruits and vegetables soften, and they become more easily digestible. You can make the best of your vegetables and fruits because your body absorbs all that nutritional value more easily.
- You will notice your steamed foods retaining their original colors and structure. They stay and look more appetizing when steamed. Forget about mushy, limp, or colorless meals.
- You can use steaming for versatile cooking. You can use most types of fruits, vegetables, meats, or starches for steaming.
- Because you can cook a variety of foods over one heat source quickly, you save energy and costs, as well as time. That means more affordable and eco-friendly cooking.
Types of Vegetable Steamers
If you want to cook with all your heart, you need to get some ideas about different cookware. There are different types of vegetable steamers you can go for according to your cooking style and comfort. To compare the best one for you, go through these types and their features.
Metal steamers are either made with aluminum or stainless steel. The lids are either glass or the same metal as their body.
Glass lids are beneficial to those who like to keep track of their food. But, glass lids are risky to use. Metal ones, on the other hand, are safe. But you can’t see your food while they cook inside.
Another disadvantage of metal lids is you have to open the lid to check on your food. This can let the steam escape and make the process longer.
Collapsible steamers are easy to use and store. They fold. You can store them without using up too much kitchen space.
You can also adjust the size to fit your cookware for diverse steaming. For a safe and easy maneuver, collapsible steamers are the best option.
Bamboo steamers are not only for restaurants. You can get your own bamboo steamer to steam your veggies and fruits gently. One extra advantage you get from a bamboo steamer is, it absorbs the steam moisture. So, your food cooks easily and provides a smoother texture to your food.
Microwave steamers are created using materials that are safe to use in a microwave oven. Materials like silicone, ceramic, plastic, etc., are used for making microwave steamers. They come pretty inexpensive and are easy to use. One other advantage is that you can find them everywhere.
Silicone steamers are most suited for pressure cookers. But, you can use them on any pots and pans because they’ll expand their sizes according to the pot.
Silicone is easy to clean and use. They come with long enough legs to stay above the water.
Ceramic steamers are durable and aesthetically pleasing. They’re robust, heavy, and meant to last long. If you are enthusiastic about cooking diverse dishes with a steamer, a ceramic steamer will be perfect for you.
Electric steamers offer you versatile and easy cooking. The bottom part holds the heat element and water to produce steam. The top part holds the steamer insert that’s used for accommodating the food you’re steaming.
Electric steamers are easy to use because they don’t require much manual handling and monitoring.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Clean cookware is the primary condition of healthy eating. Your steamer needs to be properly clean if you want it to last longer. Follow these steps to give your steamer a thorough cleaning.
Empty Your Steamer
Once you’re done with steaming your food, make the steamer empty by transferring the food elsewhere. Remove any small pieces stuck if removable by hand. If you use an electric steamer, make sure you unplug the steamer and let it be completely cool before emptying.
Soak Your Steamer
Soak your steamer into warm water. Use your sink to fill it up with warm water and soak the steamer. Warm water helps to loosen any stubborn food residue stuck to the steamer. If it’s an electric steamer, make sure you don’t soak the cord, base, or plug. Only soak the lid, drip tray, and steamer container.
Wash Your Steamer
If your vegetable steamer is dishwasher-safe, you can clean it without much hassle. If it’s not dishwasher safe, you can use a wet cloth dipped in a mild soap to wash the steamer. If you’re using an electric steamer, put the steamer insert and drip tray inside the dishwasher with plenty of empty space around. Try to wash them alone, without any other utensils.
To clean the reservoir of your electric steamer, use a wet cloth. A mild soap, if need be. But never use any abrasive detergent.
Dry Your Steamer
Use a clean and dry towel to wipe your steamer dry. Do the same if you own an electric steamer. Store it in an enclosed place to protect it from dirt.
Buying Guide To Pick The Best One
If you have any confusion about how to compare the best vegetable steamer, you can use some indicators while purchasing your steamer. Go through these features and evaluate which ones are most important to you when shopping for a steamer.
you should consider the tiers according to your steaming necessity. How much food do you steam at once and how diverse your foods are will decide if you need single steamers or more.
If you like steaming different foods at once, you should go for a two or three-tier steamer.
Other than that, single-tier steamers like a collapsible or silicone steamer will be a perfect choice for you.
Among different steamer types, you need to select the one best suited for you. Every user utilizes their cooking tools in a different way. One may always steam veggies with their steamer, and another might steam seafood. According to your preference, you should pick a type that fulfills your cooking curiosity.
Ease of Cleaning
Most vegetable steamers come with a dishwasher-safe feature. Some may not be dishwasher safe, but they’re easy to wash manually too. Consider checking the cleaning ease before buying.
The size will vary depending on how much food you need to cook with your steamer. If you cook for large family gatherings often, you should go for large capacity steamers like 10 quarts.
If you need to cook small baby food, you can go for a size as small as 1 quart. Remember that the larger your cookware, the more space it will take to store.
see if your steamer is easily storable. Consider your kitchen specs and visualize where your steamer will go when not in use. If you lack space to store your steamer, you should go for the ones that don’t take up much space.
Your steamer should be easy to refill and keep track of. If you fail to refill the water pan in case it runs dry, you’ll end up burning your steamer. So, ensure that you can keep track of your water level without much hassle.
A timer is a crucial feature if you’re a beginner. Precise timing is extremely necessary when you steam. If you don’t want your food to become all mushy, it’s compulsory to find a steamer that comes with a timer.
On the contrary, if you cook food that doesn’t require much precise timing, or you’re an expert in cooking, you should not be concerned.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
We’ve given you the 10 best vegetable steamers, the benefits of steamed vegetables, types of steamers, cleaning and maintenance, and a buying guide. We also tried to answer questions you might have regarding your steamed food.
Now it’s your turn to go through with them. Decide what you want. Shopping for any kind of cooking tool is an adventure. You get to learn about new things, features, pros, and cons. Enjoy your digging and purchase the best one that you think should be the winner.