Shopping for kitchen accessories is a fun thing until you have to make significant decisions. We mean, it’s quite a bit of workload when you need to choose between Japanese and German steel for the best kitchen knife set under $100.
Not only this, there are considerations to take when it comes to the handles, blade constructions, shape, and types of knives. Sounds like a big deal? It’s not.
We are going to share some real-life experiences with the best budget knife sets so you don’t have to do all the research. Also, there’s a buying guide and an FAQ section so you know the necessary information before leaving this page.
Ready to explore?
Our Top Pick of Best Kitchen Knife Set Under $100
- Best Overall- McCook MC29 Knife Set
From the quality blade material to the versatility it offers, you will love this easy-to-use knife set that costs under $70 only! However, it shouldn’t be your pick if you don’t prefer stainless steel handles.
- Best German Steel- Master Maison Knife Set
Each knife of the set is a single piece of high-carbon, German stainless steel. The steel quality makes the knives stain and rust-resistant. Although the price point may seem a bit high as you’re getting only 8-pieces of knives from the set, the performance says it’s worth it.
- Best Performance- Cuisinart Classic Forged Knife Set
The extra sharp blades of this knife set offer you the most effective performance. Also, it’s a 15-piece knife set under $75 which is a win-win situation for you.
- Best Professional Knife Set- Chicago Cutlery Knife Set
It comes with a decent number of knives (13-piece) in a set. The performance and visual appearance make it the best choice for professional uses. So, your chef friends will love such a set as a gift.
- Best Lightweight- Cangshan S1 Knife Set
Some users prefer lightweight knives for the ease and comfort they offer. If you’re one of them, this set is the right one for you. But the set contains only 3-piece knives and the price is over $90, so think twice before picking it right away.
- Best High-Carbon Finish- Sabatier Forged Triple Rivet Knife Set
Go for this 15-piece knife set if you want high-quality carbon forging. It’s exceptionally rust-resistant. And, the overall usability of the knives is satisfactory.
- Sharpest Kitchen Knife- Cangshan V2 Knife Set
The best thing about this 5-piece knife set is that it offers a precise and sharp edge without any brittleness. About the hardness of its steel, it’s higher than 58 on the Rockwell Hardness Rating.
- Best Heavier Knife- Tudoccy 16-Pc. Knife Set
This 16-piece knife set is relatively heavier than any other options on our list. Some users prefer heavy knives because of the better control and balance they offer. Also, you’re getting 16-piece knives under $80 which is great.
- Best Japanese Steel- Ginsu Gourmet 8-PieceKnife Set
If you prefer super-sharp Japanese steel over German steel, this 8-piece set can be your option. It’ll provide you with the perfect blend of control and power with the proper safety and security.
- Best Multi-Purpose Kitchen Knife- Culinary Obsession Knife Block Set
It comes with 17-pieces of knives which is a large number. You can get every necessary piece of the knife from the set for individual kitchen needs. Another piece of good news is, it costs under $80.
10 Best Kitchen Knife Set Under $100
Without wasting another minute, let’s go through the list!
- Material: Made of high-carbon German steel, this knife is sharper and more durable than most typical stainless steel knives.
- Item Weight: 34 pounds is the item weight which means it has a moderate weight.
- Handle: Ergonomic stainless steel handle makes it easy to deal with.
So, the list is starting with a 15-piece knives collection that has a lot to offer you.
McCook passed the very most important requirement of most large knife sets- durability. Yes, high-carbon German steel is used in the knives making them low-maintenance and extra durable.
About appearance, it’s bold and sleek. The knives are made by following western design but there’s one knife named ‘Santoku’ where Japanese design is adapted. Overall, it’s the best knife set under 100 amazon if you’re looking for a giftable one.
There’s a built-in sharpener included here. Maybe you’ve seen other companies advertise that they come with sharpeners and found that in most cases, they are nothing but honing devices.
But here, the sharpener is made with ceramic. And, since ceramic is harder than stainless steel, it works great when it comes to sharpening knives.
About construction, the knives are one-piece, meaning there’s a blade and a handle only. That makes them easy to use and durable but you may see the handles deteriorate before the blade.
Steel handles are durable but don’t offer the best grip qualities as other materials do.
- Material: Built with a high-carbon German steel compound for rust-free use.
- Item Weight: Weight is 8 pounds, a bit heavier than most knife sets.
- Handle: Comes with a triple-riveted synthetic handle.
Another great selection of knives is the Master Maison Set. You’ll get all the classic western styles from here, also there’s a carving & paring knife for you. And, some Japanese-influenced knives such as Santoku are also found here.
The great German Steel makes it one of the most reliable knives set on the market.
But the weight might disappoint you like this best kitchen knife set under $100 is quite a heavier knife set than most competitors. However, since the knives don’t bend easily, they are stronger than you can imagine.
About blade construction, you’ll get very sharp blades from here. Each blade performs flawlessly. The ergonomic triple-riveted handles make them impossible to slip from your grip. No matter you slice, chop, or cut things, they’ll provide a secure grip.
The set comes with a storage block, a knife sharpener, and cooking scissors. The scissors are one of the items that set these apart from other knife sets. They are very sharp and they can provide precise cutting results.
But the steak knives of this set are not the smoothest ones. You may notice the meat getting a bit more torn while cutting. Another fact we didn’t like about the product is, it’s not dishwasher-safe.
- Material: The knives are made with high-carbon forged stainless steel to ensure durability and precise result for every cut.
- Item Weight: Comes with 7.9 pounds which are lightweight enough.
- Handle: Comes with ergonomic triple rivet handles.
The set is one of the most favorites among users who want to spend less than $100 on a knife set. The 15 knives have stainless steel as well as high-quality carbon materials here. The set offers great versatility, meaning you can handle many different tasks with this set.
So, regardless of the food you place on the chopping board, the cutting process will always be easy with Cuisinart. The extra-sharp blades are corrosion- and -stain-resistant. Each knife comes with a razor-edged blade that’s solid and it offers extra control plus stability.
Also, if you prefer knives that are aesthetically pleasing so you can gift a set to your favorite person, this set is the right one at such a price range. This best kitchen knife set under $100 also includes a lifetime warranty.
You’ll get a knife block that offers easy storage. There’s a chef’s knife, a utility knife, a slicing knife, a paring knife, a santoku knife, a steak knife, all-purpose shears, and sharpening steel included in the set.
However, this set is only to use on the daily ‘at at home’ cooking projects, you have to spend a lot more to have professional-grade steel. And, these knives are also not dishwasher-safe which is quite disappointing.
- Material: Constructed with high-carbon German stainless steel for additional durability.
- Weight: 28 pounds, heavier than other options.
- Handle: Contoured stainless-steel handles fit comfortably in the hand.
This set comes with sleek and attractive knife designs. However, it’s slightly over $100 but may be the best professional knife set you can have at such a price range.
You’ll get a high-quality product with different styles of knives.
For the high-carbon stainless steel, you just need to take an edge and hold it, it’ll work like a champ. The knives arrived razor-sharp so you can go through any cutting projects without putting much pressure on the ingredients.
Although the weight is quite heavy, users stated that the bread knife, Santoku, and the Chef’s knives are perfectly weighted for their duties. The handles will feel just right if you have a few wide hands.
However, it comes with some potential drawbacks as well. There is no honing steel and the steak knives don’t have serrated tips that previous versions had.
And, the bevel seems quite small that may cause the knives to dull quickly. Still, since they’re quality steel, professional sharpenings can correct this particular issue. The scissors didn’t perform great in our tests.
However, this can be one of the best options if you’re looking for a sturdy, full-tang knife set that comes at a reasonable price.
- Material: German steel is used that prioritizes durability, sharpness, edge retention, and hardness.
- Weight: Weighs only 2.93 pounds.
- Handle: Modernistic ergonomic handles reduce fatigue.
If you’ve been looking for the best 3 piece knife set, here’s the best kitchen knife set under $100. The Cangshan S1 set is stunning and you can have it at an affordable rate.
It’s long-lasting because of German steel’s 58 HRC rating. Expert bladesmiths were dedicated to sharpening and polishing the knives by hand. Also, it’s the right choice if you prefer full-tang knives.
The incredible heat treatment of the knives makes sure that they have amazing edge retention. The heating process allows a 16-degree blade angle which makes it sharp and resistant to breaking and chipping at the same time.
About handles, they come with tapered handles that are comfortable to deal with. And, you’ll feel great about how the knives cope with multiple grip types. This set can be an ideal choice for a small kitchen in your RV or a boat as it requires tiny counter space.
However, the compact size of the set might not be the best solution for you. And, there are no empty slots in the storage block which made us a bit unhappy. There are quite a few steak knives that you can have from its V2 cousin.
- Material: Superior-quality high carbon stainless steel is used in the construction.
- Weight: Coming at 6.89 pounds which is the perfect weight.
- Handle: Ergonomic stainless steel handles make the grip easy.
Here comes the best kitchen knife set under $100 with numerous useful features. About knife options, you’ll have everything from serrated knives to chef’s knives, utility knives, and a whole lot more. But the color option is limited which may bother you.
The high-carbon steel is corrosion and stain-resistant. Still, they are not safe to use in the dishwasher but hand-washing is just fine to keep the knives clean and beautiful for a long time.
One of the reasons why the knives look unique is the forged white handles. The handles offer a durable design so you can cut, dice, chop, and slice ingredients more comfortably. Although the lightweight may not disturb you, the handles are thinner than expected which might make you unhappy.
However, the ergonomic handle design makes sure that you have a secure grip, absolute stability, enhanced comfort, and reduced risks of painful cuts. Plus the bold color of the knives is enough to make them stand out in your kitchen.
The price is also less than most Sabatier versions and you’re going to have a lifetime warranty as well. Overall, it’s a win-win option for you.
- Material: Built using German X50CrMoV15 Steel for extra endurance.
- Weight: Comes at 8.2 pounds which is perfect for everyday use.
- Dimensions: 15 x 5 x 15.5 inches is the dimension of the product.
This set is the perfect choice for minimalist people who put quality over quantity. German X50CrMoV15 Steel is used for the blade construction which you’ll only find on premium knife sets.
The steel resists rust and holds the edge well. Maybe it’s not the most inexpensive option out there, the quality proves that it’s the best kitchen knife set under $100 you can ever experience. But some users aren’t happy with the lower number of knives at such a price, so, think about it. It offers a great balance as well.
And, if you’re comfortable with a pinch grip, you’ll be happy with the set because there are no irritating sharp corners on the top of the knife. The blades are incredibly sharp and they’re easy to re-sharpen too.
However, some users claimed that the plastic quality of the handles isn’t worth the pricing. The real quality is in the blades though. They are durable, well-made, and pretty sharp.
But the block may not be constructed that well. The knives may withstand dishwasher cleansing, still, it’s best to hand wash them.
- Material: Superior high-carbon German stainless steel makes it work like magic.
- Weight: Comes as quite heavy, in 10 pounds.
- Handle: Precious wenge wood handle offers a comfortable grip every time you use it.
Don’t let the position of this product on our list fool you. It’s one of the high-quality knife sets under $100 which is packed with a lot of great features. The handles and blades are awesome from their effectiveness and sharpness.
As a daily use set for your kitchen, the knives perform great while cutting meat, vegetables, and any food you want.
For storage purposes, there’s an attractive wooden Acacia block that features a similar wood grain style to the handles of the knife. Also, the block resists stain and corrosion and it’s easy to clean as well.
About cutting performance, you’ll love how the German carbon-forged steel blades work. No matter which knife you’re using, you’ll get a professional touch from each one. For easy serving, use the carving forks to pick up the meat.
There’s a unique rivet in the handle which makes the knife anti-slip. However, some users complain that they noticed the uneven thickness of the wood handle (mostly in steak knives).
And, the blades may seem too flexible in the steak knives. Overall, the knives did well in our testing. There’s a honing blade and scissors included with the set and you’ll get a finger guard that helps you feel more comfortable while dealing with the knives.
- Material: Premium Japanese Stainless Steel lets you approach every recipe with confidence.
- Weight: Weighs only 7.06 pounds, lightweight enough.
- Handle: Traditional Japanese-style handles provide an easy and comfortable grip.
- Blade Edge: Serrated.
Let me save your time- in case, you don’t need or want steak knives, go for this 8-piece set as it doesn’t contain a steak knife. And, the 420J steel isn’t the highest-quality steel so it may not hold the edge as greatly as other brands do.
What it means is that you have to sharpen the knives regularly if you are going to use them a lot. As the knives cannot undergo a dishwasher cleansing, you have to go with the hand wash process after each use.
The best performer on this best kitchen knife set under $100 is the 7-inch Santoku knife. Also, the utility knife was incredibly capable of handling various tasks in our testing.
Another feature is- the knives are full-tang, meaning the knife blades go into the handle. It reduces breakage as well other possible accidents you might face while working with a kitchen knife.
Handwashing the knives might take a bit more time and effort but it prolongs their sharpness and shelf lives. Also, there are chances of reduced corrosion on the blades if you maintain them by handwashing.
However, the steel is quite soft and the handle material isn’t the highest quality which may make you upset. And, many users claimed that the knives start discoloring way too soon. But you can fix it by maintaining them regularly.
- Material: High-quality stainless steel material is the reason for its great performance.
- Weight:37 pounds, quite heavier than other options.
- Handle: Attractive stainless steel handles offer balance and comfort while cutting.
- Warranty: 1-year no risk 100% money back guarantee, & world class customer service.
The last king of our list is none other than Culinary Obsession Knife Set. Grab this best kitchen knife set under $100 one no matter if you want to use the set as an ideal gift or a professional chef’s use, or for daily kitchen uses.
It looks incredibly premium and suits any modern kitchen. You’ll get all the cutting tools required in your kitchen chores. There are 17-pieces of knives which is a huge number. It includes a wooden storage block that lasts long.
The blades are made with high-quality stainless steel which makes them remain sharp for a long period. However, re-sharpening stainless steel can make your work hard.
If you prefer stainless steel handles, you’ll love the set. As the handle is a bit heavier than other products on our list, it comes with enhanced stability. Still, you’ll find it problematic to balance the knife when your hand is wet or oily.
The wooden storage block prevents the knives’ edges from becoming dull. Another great reason why we loved the set is the warranty backup. You’ll get a 1-year warranty for this 17-piece set.
What Types of Kitchen Knives Are There?
There are other types of kitchen knives out there. Here you’ll get to know about some important and most popular types.
- Chef’s Knife: Chef’s knives can do anything from slice to chop, to filet, and almost everything. That’s the reason why people say that if you have only one knife in the kitchen, it should be nothing but a chef’s knife.
- Santoku knife: Santoku knives are quite the same as chef’s knives but are thinner and shorter. They work great when it comes to slicing, dicing, or mincing.
- Nikiri knife: And, these knives are quite the same as santoku but more specific for vegetables. The flat blades of Nakiri knives let you slice ingredients without rocking the cutting board.
- Meat cleaver: Meat cleaver works like a champ to slice through thick meat such as ribs or cut through thin bones such as poultry bones.
- Utility knife: This one’s a knife for general uses. Utility knives offer you better handling compared to chef’s knives for jobs like debonding, trimming, and coring.
- Carving knife: These knives come with narrow blades that are specialized for carving up ingredients like Christmas ham or a Thanksgiving Turkey.
- Butcher’s knife: A butcher’s knife is close to a meat cleaver. The thicker blades are just perfect for slicing and chopping up big pieces of meat but let you have a less precise result compared to the cleaver.
- Bread knife: They come with serrated edges on the long blades so you can cut through fluffy cakes, crusty bread, and softer meats without deforming them.
- Steak knife: Probably the most necessary part of a knife set is the steak knives. They are used to cut pork, steak, chicken, or any meat item that lands on your lunch plate.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Kitchen Knife Set
Before you hit the buy button, wait for a while. There are a few things you should never skip before making the final decision. So, let’s see what we’re talking about.
Blade Material and Quality
The most important factor you should consider before choosing a kitchen knife for you is its blade material. You’ll be asked to go for either Japanese or German stainless steel.
In short German steel is famous for balance, durability, and professional uses. On the contrary, Japanese steel offers an edge sharp that allows you to split even a hair. It also lets you have a precise outcome each time.
Other than stainless steel, the blade material can be anything else like ceramic. For your information, stainless steel is longer lasting.
The problem is, you’ll need both heavy and lightweight knives in your kitchen. Let me make it clear. A bit heavy knife is required to cut meats but to chop onions or other vegetables, you should go for a lightweight knife.
For this, grab a knife set that contains knives of different weights so you can use the specific one for the specific job you need to be done.
Shape and Type
As we’ve discussed earlier, there are different types of knives, so make sure you know which type you are going to need. It’s also crucial to check the length of the knives. For example, the paring knife should be 2-4” long whereas the chef’s knife is supposed to be 5-10” long.
Therefore, make sure they come in the right shape and type you want.
There are many options when it’s about choosing the handle. They can be made of laminated wood composites, plastic, or stainless steel. The handles will make sure you have a secure and comfortable grip while cutting. So, it’s a fact you can’t skip.
We recommend you go for wooden handles that resist temperature and moisture. And, choose an ergonomic knife set so it fits in your hand without slipping.
Frequently Asked Questions of Best Kitchen Knife Set Under $100
So, this was our guide on the ‘best kitchen knife set under $100’. Hopefully, we didn’t disappoint you throughout the write-up. Our top pick is McCook MC29 Knife Set and we’ve stated the compelling reasons for giving it to the trophy.
Still, the 10 are the best from their own place. Since every set offers individual features and specifications, you should be the one who chooses the right knife set according to your needs. No matter which one you pick, make sure you clean and maintain the knives regularly.